Monday, October 6, 2008

Peanut Allergy

Last night was so crazy! Yesterday I made peanut butter cookies. I like to make cookies on sunday. Well right before we put Owen to bed we were down in the kitchen eating cookies and Owen was crawling around us as usual. We then went upstairs bathed him and his eyes started to get red (which they usually do when he is tired) and he was rubbing them...again, what he does when he is tired so we made him a bottle to put him to bed. He didn't really eat his bottle because he was itching his eyes like crazy but I assumed he was just really tired and didn't want to eat because he didn't nap. Well he went down and fell asleep and we went downstairs. About an hour later, Owen woke up screaming. We went upstairs and made him another bottle (thinking he hadn't eaten the first so he must be hungry) and we went in and got him. Well, he had thrown up everywhere and was sneezing and he just wasn't breathing right. My first thought was that he had maybe eaten some cookie and was having an allergy to the peanut butter. So we decided to take him to the hospital. On our way he started to calm down a bit so I thought we should just stop at the store to see if maybe there was medicine for an upset tummy because maybe he just was a little upset. Owen is in the phase of EVERYTHING goes in his mouth! Literally! So maybe he didn't get cookie and maybe he had grabbed something else and put it in his mouth and upsetting him. So I ran in the store to see what I could find and when I had come out he had thrown up again and doing the weird breathing. I told Lee that we should just go to the hospital because I would rather them send us home with an upset tummy then go home and have something bad happen. So we continue to the hospital. Owen then started to throw up again and was choking on it so as we were pulling into the hospital I was yanking Owen out to slap his back and take off his clothes. Lee dropped us off and I went running in the ER with Owen in nothing but a diaper and a blanket wrapped around him. And when we got in I could see that Owen was puffy and had hives everwhere! All over his neck, back, tummy, face, legs and even down his diaper! I was freaking out! The nurse took us back immediately and you could just tell he was in pain! My heart was breaking for my baby! He was crying and sneezing and scratching everywhere. But poor, cute Owen still was a smiling baby. All the nurses came in. We probably had like at least 10 nurses in there saying how cute he was that with his puffy red eyes and body he was still smiling at them. Anyways, it pretty much took all 10 nurses to hold him down so they could try to find a vein in his arm for an IV. That made him angry! After about 50 pokes and an EPI shot they got his IV in and gave him benadryl and some steroid to help with inflammation. I just sat there and held him and he started to look and feel better and drifted off to sleep. They then monitored him for another hour and a half then sent us home with benadryl and prescriptions for more steroid and benadryl. My poor baby! I was so sad! We really don't know what exactly he ate, but my personal feeling is that he ate some cookie and is allergic to peanuts. I am so thankful that he is okay and we decided to just go to the hospital. In a few weeks we will have to take him to an allergist to see if that is what it is or if he maybe ate something else. And if he is allergic to peanuts then he might be to all nuts. I love Owen with all my heart and it just kills me to see him have any pain or problems. I am so thankful I have him. I think I need that little boy more than he needs me. I love him so so so much! These are some pictures after he got his medicine and started to feel better. Everyone please pray for him! You can see his puffy eyes :(Sad Lee holding Owen after he fell asleep. We were so worried.This is where the IV was in his arm. They covered it with an ace bandage so he would rip at it.

I am hoping that maybe if it is a peanut allergy that he will grow out of it. Maybe he is just so young and couldn't handle it yet. Who knows. I feel a little overwhelmed too thinking of all the things we will have to do to make sure that he never eats peanuts or anything with peanuts or peanut oil in it. I am just so thankful that Owen is ok today!

18 comments:

Gab said...

glad it all turned out ok - poor little thing. It definitely sounds like he experienced anaphylaxis. You should get an appt. with your pediatrician (and ideally an allergist) to get him tested for a peanut and/or tree nut allergy. Better safe than sorry (and I know firsthand how awful a peanut allergy is). Good Luck!

Gil said...

that's so sad, but i'm glad the little guy is ok.

The Gray Fam said...

WOW!! I am so sorry, that is so scary, but I am so glad that he is ok. Peanut allergies are bad so I sure hope that's not what it is... Good luck, and keep us posted!!

us said...

Oh my goodness!! I cant even explain how much I can relate! (not with the allergy) But having a poor helpless baby, sicker than ever.. and not knowing what to do- feeling soo helpless and wishing you could take his pain away! We did the same thing (went to the ER) cuz ash was throwing up EVERYWHERE.. Its the suckiest thing in the world, and I just wanted to relate! Im soo sorry you guys had to go through that.. its honestly the WORST! Glad the little guy is better! Huge relief!

Rachelle said...

That is so scary! Just remind yourself that if it is an actual peanut allergy, TONS of people are allergic to nuts. It isn't that comforting, but because of that manufacturers are a lot more careful about listing whether or not their product has come in contact with nuts. (Not to mention the advances in medicine that treat allergic reactions.) Good luck! I am so glad Owen is ok.

Celeste said...

OOOH - my poor baby! I love him -- I should come and kiss him!

Anonymous said...

Just came across your page and wow, it brought back memories of probably my child's first reaction to coming in contact with peanut and ending up at the hospital. My child experienced the throwing up, but grey in color. Just know that if it is a peanut allergy, better to know now. And there is soooo much awareness and support out there now. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

soo sad.. i feel bad.. im glad everything turned out ok... luv u guys!!

Anonymous said...

You are so smart taking Little baby Owen to the hospital! I'm really happy he's doing better, that would scare me to death! He is such a sweet little guy! Love you all!

Andrea said...

I'm glad Owen's okay!

Rory & Lori said...

Oh my gosh! Doesn't having a baby change everything? People always say that but you never realize how much you can worry about another person's well-being until you become a parent. I am so sorry you guys had to go through all that! How scary, I am so glad he is ok now. Hopefully he will outgrow the allergy if that is what caused it. It makes me want to be more conscientious about what kids can be allergic to!

Lauren said...

What a scary story...it is so good you went to the hospital. I am glad he is okay!

Anonymous said...

those are such sad pics!

Rachel said...

Hey how's little Owen doing? I'm glad you caught it so early! That is so scary! I hope he is feeling all better

hoLLY said...

oh my goodness! How scary! Im glad he is okay, isn't it amazing how worried you get now that you are a mother!

Anonymous said...

Just an FYI for you: People that are allergic to peanuts are very rarely allergic to other nuts because peanuts don't grow on trees so they aren't in the nut family. So hopefully he isn't. But that is way scary!! My husband is allergic to all nuts except peanuts and we had an attack like that and we are UBER careful now. Glad he is ok though!!

Victoria Elder said...

Oh wow that was so sad! those pictures made a little teary eyed! poor sweet boy! My mom is way allergic to nuts so the dr recommended dax not have until after he is 2 & must be supervised, I am sad no pb& j sandwhiches for him, I am glad Owen is ok & you caught it in time!

The Timothys said...

ohhh.....poor little guy!!! hopefully he's doing better! hey! I was talkin to kelli about her clock you gave them for their wedding and i totally LOVE it! I want one!!! so she told me to ask you where you bought the clock and what not so i could make one myself... so if you dont't mind sharin your secret i'd be more than happy to hear it! :)
/shae