I took Owen to the allergist yesterday to have him re-tested for his allergies. Poor kid can sense a doctor and he was quite upset the entire time we were there. In fact, he won't even go on those tables or chairs with the white wrapping at all. I have to hold him or he has a fit. It was so sad, he got poked in the back 5 times with different allergens including eggs and peanuts (his allergies). The peanut poke swelled up to a ridiculous sized mound in a matter of seconds so there is no denying that he is severely allergic to peanuts still. The egg swelled a tiny bit but it was so miniscule that the doctor said it would almost be considered negative but they wanted to test his blood. Yep, he got the needle in the arm and I had to hold his arms down while he was wiggling and screaming and 2 nurses were trying to draw the blood. Unfortunately since he is so young and doesn't understand that holding still makes it go quicker he fought them and the blood kept stopping so the nurse had to keep wiggling the needle in his vein and it took about 10 times longer than it should have. I felt so sad! On the plus side, if the test comes back looking good than we can try to feed him scrambled eggs and test out the egg products more. I am crossing my fingers that everything goes ok because the doctor was telling me that 75% of people with egg allergies are fine with them baked into baked goods. But eating like scrambled eggs or french toast is a different story. Knock on wood!
Unfortunately, like I said, the peanut allergy is severe! He will probably forever have to stay away from nuts in general. We have to go get new Epi Pens for him. He isn't necessarily allergic to any other nut but the doctor was saying that even if you just buy like almonds, almost 99% of the time there are peanuts mixed in and peanut traces on them. He said unless you actually go pick the nut off the tree yourself, don't trust any nuts! Isn't that nuts? haha. So, looks like we will pretty much be a nut free family, which is fine by me. I can't stand nuts baked into anything anyways so not much of a loss for me.
Thursday, March 11, 2010
Allergies
Posted by Melanie at 12:16 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Poor kid, sorry you guys had to go through that, I hope for the best on the egg results!
Post a Comment