Sunday, May 11, 2008

Race for the Cure


On Saturday, May 10 I ran the Race for the Cure 5k run in downtown Salt Lake. It was fun and a good race to get me started back into running races again. I didn't look at the clock though so I don't know what I ran it in, but thats ok, it's probably best I didn't see my time. I did run the entire time though! I can't wait to run another half marathon and possible marathon too in the near future.
During the race I saw so many people there doing it for a loved one. I saw old and young people, kids even, women with strollers, and everyone in between. It was really neat to see everyone running for a reason, not just to run a half marathon or try and beat their time, but to actually run for a cause. Some people had shirts made that said "in loving memory of..." or "save the ta-ta's" or even "big or small we save em all! save the manboobs!" It was so fun to see all the pink papers attached to everyone's back that said "in memory of.." or "in celebration of.." Which brings me to why I ran it. My own grandmother, Pearl Holdaway, had breast cancer, and overcame it in 2001. I am so thankful that I live in a day and age where technology is so great and medicine is constantly being updated and we have the ability to research and try to cure so many diseases and problems that we are being faced with. So this race was in Celebration of you Grandma Pearl! I love you!

3 comments:

I am Chree-uz. said...

Tell the Leeland a happy birthday for me! Fo sho

Alisha said...

Way to go Mel! I'm way impressed! What an awesome cause! If I would have been up there, I would have ran it with you...maybe next time (or you could come join me running the st. george marathon in october!)

Ruthanne said...

Hey Melanie! That is awesome, good for you. Hope everything is going well!