Today I spend 9 hours at the gym. I finally got my Primary Group Exercise Certification test done. Technically, in order to teach, you need to be certified. I am certified in Turbokick, but not through a more general certification. AFAA stands for Aerobics and Fitness Association of America. It is quite thorough. A lot more so than I thought. First of all, you have to study and do a mean study guide that is like 37 pages or something and memorize proper muscle names and places. Then you go to the certification and you have to do both a written test (100 questions, multiple choice and matching) and also a practical (showing that you know how to work all the different muscle groups and stretch them out and basically that you know how to teach and cue correctly). To be honest, I didn't read all the chapters, I more just went through and found the answers and didn't study too hard until last night and then I only studied for an hour or two. Then you do a practical which is you do a warm-up, a cardio section, a cool-down section, go through every muscle group in the body and show at least 2 strengthening exercises per muscle and 1 stretching exercise. On top of this, you also have to teach an individual presentation in front of everyone showing 1 move and 2 harder modifications.
I was really worried about it because the lady that originally does it is an older "really anal" lady. She is all professionalism and having everything correct down to the last hair on your head. Which I think everything does need to be proper, but group exercise is all about fun too! Anyways I have been way stressed, then when I got to the gym, come to find out she is not the one who was doing it that day!! YAY! She was supposed to go out of town but ended up not but someone else was already flown in. The girl who did my certification was way cute and fun and it helped to ease the tension. She was more in the style of helping everyone out and making sure everyone passed. (I didn't get that impression from the original lady). I hope this is making sense.
Anyways, it is finally over. This has been hanging over my head for quite some time and it feels nice to finally have it over. And not just over, but I feel good about it. I am positive I passed. It really wasn't that bad. In 4 to 6 weeks I should be recieving my results and certificate showing I passed. So not only can I kick your butt in Turbo, I can now kick it in any class!! Watch out world! Here I come! :)
Saturday, November 22, 2008
AFAA Certification
Posted by Melanie at 6:56 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Congratulations!!! You should pick up some classes at Gold's Gym so that I can come! That is really awesome.
Last night I made another sock monkey and a sock zebra, you better start looking for some cute socks because after we paint our ornaments, we're making some sock animals!
yay! good for you. I love that class!
Yeah I'm so so so happy for you! Congrats! I hope I can see you teach someday! :)
That is so cool Melanie! You seriously inspired me when you guys came to Logan. I need to step it up with the aerobics, but you'll be proud of me I have been going once a week to the Monday step class. You would laugh because I fell off the step and sprained my ankle a few weeks ago, it is still way sore because I jumped off my parents tramp on Thanksgiving and it gave out on me again.
well.. congrats on the class.. i didn't know you were taking that test!! cool!! im so excited to see ya guys only a couple more days!! and ohh the aprons are ohh so cute... i need the pattern...oh yeahh.. how were the rolls?
Post a Comment