Sunday, March 29, 2009

A little of this, and a little of that.

Yesterday we took Owen to the zoo. Owen absolutely loves animals. He ALWAYS picks out animal books and laughs really hard when he sees the kitties (he must have inherited that from Lee). Lee's parents took us to the zoo with Owen and it was a blast. I am a real dummy and forgot my camera and am way mad. He was such a good boy. He loves it outside and he didn't take a second nap and didn't fuss once. He just ran from room to room, exhibit to exhibit. The only problem was that if the animal wasn't way close or moving, he didn't notice. He also seemed to enjoy watching running water than the animals. But at least he loved it. He rode on the carousel and the train and absolutely loved it. I love having a child because you can just see the joy and happiness in them in everything they see and do. I feel like I get to have a second childhood because all of a sudden, everything is fun again. Only I am the giver which I think makes it even funner. But don't tell Owen that :). Anyways, zoo, fun!
Today wasn't so fun. Why is my child the ONLY child that won't stay by Lee or I during church? Why does he just run away and not look back? I really honestly think I could drop him off and pick him up later and he wouldn't even notice. He just run and plays and won't sit still. It is quite frustrating. Even the other kids that are around his age sit by their parents. Owen has no fear and runs away. I try to bring books and toys but he won't have any of it. The other parents look at me as I run back and forth and back and forth probably thinking "why don't you control your child?" But it's not like I can restrain him. I tried to hold him for a while in the back and guess what? He screamed and screamed until I put him down or took him out. In fact, all he does is scream. When he doesn't get his way. I think he is in his terrible two's...only he started a year early. The only time he is happy is when he is outside or away from home. So church, not so fun.
Then we get home. We decided to make pancakes for dinner. (I know lovely sunday meal right?) Owen has learned to stand on his tiptoes and open drawers and pull out things from in them and on the counter. He pulled down a brand new bottle of maple syrup and it broke and our floor was covered in the sticky mess. On top of it, we don't have paper towels so we had to clean it up with a rag. Took about 20 minutes. Then after dinner, we are sitting there and Owen had something gross on his hands. Look over, there is dog throwup and you guessed it, Owen smeared it around. So clean up that mess. I swear as soon as I got done doing that I opened the fridge to pull out grapes. Owen loves the fridge, he has a little obsession with opening it and the freezer. So we are sitting there and Owen is being quiet in the kitchen. Oh no. Here he comes from behind the island with fistfulls of rice. I had some in a tupperware and he must have pulled it out when I opened the fridge. So of course he runs to us, rice in hands, shoves it in his mouth and spits it back out. Hundreds of little pieces of rice go all over our carpet. So Lee and I are cleaning that up and he runs in the kitchen and is feeding himself and Feebee the rice that was all over the floor in there. Lovely. All of this within an hour of each other.
I do want to say though, that I love Owen. I love being a mom. There are some sticky, messy and unconvenient messes that come up but no matter what I love that little boy to pieces. I wouldn't trade staying at home with him for anything. I am so amazed at the love we have when we have children. You truly never know how much your parents love you until you have a little child of your own.

Although...I am thankful that he is in bed now and I get a break.

Until tomorrow morning at 7!

4 comments:

Celeste said...

WOW!! Sounds like fun! Try having 2~ ha ha ha!
A few things that worked for us at church:
1. sit on a bench and put him between you two - even better if you have other people on another end - LOTS of cheerios, crayons, and the Ikea fingerpuppets.

2. If you MUST take him out of sacrament, DO NOT put him down. Hold him. It will train him to learn that if he is by you in the pew, he can stand up and have a 'little' wiggle room and play. But going out is a game for him so just hold him and he'll learn that it's funner in the pew.

It will take a few weeks, but he'll get it. It's such a HARD age, especially at church. good luck!

Rachelle said...

I can't believe how much our boys are alike! I have been dying to take Teagan to the zoo. I can't wait. I can completely relate to the church experience. Teagan throws a fit in the middle of sacrament meeting if you try to hold him still. He loves to run all over. I like Celeste's idea about making being in the pew more fun. I think I will try that. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Ha! Ha! Sounds like an adventure to me! Owen is a little ball of energy! :) I wish I had some suggestions but I'm still trying to figure these things out also! :)

Natalie said...

Hey Melanie..It's Natalie, Mackenzie Sproul's sister.I am so right there with you on the church stuff. ..my Tate is 18 months and absolutely hates sacrament. I think because he can not run around. I spend my sacraments in the foyer holding him. HE wants to get down once we get out there , and I refuse. I hold him and he gets mad..but I know from past experience with my other kids,if I put them down once I am in the foyer..they will never want to go to sacrament. Anyway, I feel your pain and lets hope that this little phase will soon pass..because quite frankly, I am done! HA HA! Owen is darling by the way!