Monday, August 18, 2008

My First Quilt all by myself!

For my cousin Sarah's wedding present I decided that I wanted to make her a throw quilt. I have made one other with the help of Lee's mom, (really she did all the work) so I decided to really try to do most or all by myself with this one. I spent so much time on it. Making a quilt is no day at the beach. So I cut it all up, used my mom's sewing maching and Lee's mom's sewing machine and had Lee's mom help a little with putting together the back (more on that later) and got it all ready to go get quilted. Me being a perfectionist, didn't think it was the greatest but I still thought it was pretty dang good, especially for it being my first quilt. Lee's mom took it to get quilted by some lady she knows and it looked pretty cute when we got it back. Lee's mom then showed me how to bind it by hand and on Sunday I took my needle and thread and bound that dang quilt for 4 straight hours and finished it!
This is the front finished. Pretty cute huh!? I am pretty proud of myself just cuz I think the colors are really cute and I think it turned out pretty good! I am pretty irritated though about the back. I guess it's kinda my fault because I didn't buy backing so Cindy (Lee's mom) and I came up with an awesome idea of making and center square with leftover fabric from me and having a border with some fabric she had. It was pretty cute too but when I finished binding the quilt, the lady who had quilted it didn't make sure that it was centered on the back and it is pretty crooked. DANG! I was pretty irritated but there is nothing I can do. It might not be noticable that bad but on the left you can see is way thinner and the bottom right corner is really big.
I still though think that it is really really cute and I am really proud of myself. I mad a goal and accomplished it and I also had a lot of fun doing it! I want to do another one now because I had so much fun making this one!

4 comments:

Rachelle said...

Nice! I love making quilts but I am no good at it. Yours looks tons better than mine did.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

looks pretty good mel... ill be awaiting my new quilt!!! jk

Sarah said...

We love this quilt!! Finally we have some color on our couches. Yay.