Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Target


Well I got a job. Ever since we moved into our house, we are amazed at how quickly our money flies out the window. I guess we are just not used to paying a mortgage and utility bills and all that fun stuff but it has been so amazing to me that on paper, we have plenty of money with Lee's job but then he gets paid and that day we are down to our last 5 bucks! Anyways Lee and I have been trying figure out our money and have considered me getting a job. I decided I may as well fill out applications and see what happens from there. So I half-heartedly filled out applications online. I had NO intentions of actually pursuing any of these jobs or calling them back to see if they were hiring and got my app, etc, etc. I currently do teach aerobics but only once a week and that just doesn't cut it and I really enjoy it so I was planning on trying to just get more classes. I think we would be better if I could add 2 or 3 more classes. Anyways, I filled out an online app at Target and seriously like the next day they called me back for an interview. So I decided that I wasn't going to really try to get the job. I would go to the interview but not really try. So the morning of the interview I think ok well what should I wear? I decided to not really get dressed up to impress. I wore a polo shirt and just some khaki type pants. I seriously looked like I was just going to the park. Anyways in the interview they ask all those dumb, "so tell me a time that you were going to be dishonest but decided to be honest and then your best skill shone through and you decided to aquire a new skill at the same time while juggling three other responsiblities" type of questions and I think on almost all those I kept saying "Um I don't know I can't think of anything". I know I was being bad because we do need the money but I really want to teach just aerobics and have kindof had my heart on that path. I also was really honest in that I have a newborn so I can only work nights and I can't work Tuesdays (that's my aerobics class) and I only want 10 to 15 hours a week, 20 max. Anyways so the end of the interview comes and the lady really was nice and I did like her so I was nice and she says "Ok so that's the end of the interview" I was about to stand up and leave and shake her hand and thank her (I still had manners mind you just not really trying to impress for the job) I know she had interviewed quite a few other people that morning too so I was waiting for her to say that they would get back to me but she threw me through a loop. She says, "Well I am just going to go ahead and offer you the position right now if you would like". What the? Are you serious? Go me! Well if I went through all the trouble of not trying and I still got the job then there seriously had to have been a higher power intervention here. So I took the job. The lady said it was no problem with my schedule that they would only work me nights and weekends and no Tuesdays and if I ever feel like I am getting too many hours to let them know so I can cut back. I mean these people are really going to work with me here. I am still hoping to add more aerobics classes and if I can get 2 more classes then I will quit and just do that, but for now, I feel that this is probably what I should do. Maybe not necessarily what I want to do, but it will be good for us. Especially with Christmas coming up and our ever expanding credit card debt and of course we haven't paid a cent on our couches so this will be good. And I get to be at home with Owen all day and Lee will be here at night with him and hopefully I will only work 2 or 3 times a week. And on top of this I will be getting a discount and of course I do like Target so maybe I can buy Owen some new toys! I am just thankful that I am able to stay at home with Owen. He is my life and my light and my joy! I love him so much I feel I could just burst with so much love. I think I am just going to work there till November to get some extra Christmas money then quit. So there you have it, I am a cashier at the American Fork Target! Get ready for the best, fastest, nicest and funnest cashier this world has ever known!

6 comments:

us said...

Congrats to you! Thats exciting! Im sure it'll be tough, but it'll also be good to get out and have a break from being a mommy (not that you want to) but sometimes its good to get a breather! Anyways, congrats!

Rachelle said...

It's so hard when money is tight and you have a kid. I desperately need new clothes but can't seem to justify spending anything on myself when Teagan needs things more than I do. Anyway, I know how it feels to be a working mother and it's not easy but it's worth it knowing you are doing so much to help your family. I am glad things worked out for you.

Rachel said...

Wow congrats on the job search! That is so funny you weren't even trying! It will be fun and good for your money! Hey we still need to hang out sometime...man the summer just goes to fast and I lose track of time!

Teandra said...

I know exactly what you mean. Dumb mortgage...Nice story though.

lisa said...

congrats! I'm sure you'll get more exercise classes soon. Hang in there. Being poor is no fun. Dad and I had an old couch forever it seems like. love you mom

Victoria Elder said...

Hello this is Victoria, Jake Elder's wife, he went on a mission with your husband, well Jake really wants to get together with Lee & have our boys play together :) We are having his 1st birthday in Springville on Sept. 7th, we'd love for you guys to come! So if you could email me your mailing address that'd be awesome! My email is victoriadax@gmail.com
***That is great about Target, I just love that store & have thought about getting a job there just for discount!