Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Cursed!

I swear we are doomed every time we head down south. My parents got a condo down in St. George for Memorial weekend and we decided to just go down one night. We left Saturday morning and came back Sunday night. We have only taken Owen down twice now and both times he has ended up with Croup. How crummy is that? On top of it, we had to stop to feed Calvin, then stop again because Owen spilled juice all over his clothes and carseat, I started to get a severe stomach cramp that felt like the stomach flu and I couldn't stand up straight the entire weekend, and Owen sounded like a sick horse and we ended up taking him to instacare. However, it was nice to be in warm sunny weather even though we didn't end up doing much. Sunday night we left pretty late and didn't get home till 1 in the morning. It was not pleasurable driving with a toddler and a newborn. Calvin would get hungry and scream like he was being tortured and Owen kept getting sick of his carseat and crying to get out. Oh well, at least I am getting out and not sitting at home like a log.
To top it all off, I am really struggling with breastfeeding (feel free to stop here if you so choose not to read about breasts and milk). First of all, I never got engorged this time. I kept waiting for it to happen but I never felt it and I never leaked. I kept putting on pads so when my milk came in it wouldn't leak but I have not leaked once. I finally pumped after a week to make sure I did indeed even have milk and was surprised to see a little. This seemed strange especially after what I went through with Owen. Secondly, it really hurts like hell. And not just during feeding times. It hurts all the time. When Calvin starts to get hungry I get that dreaded feeling like Not again! Thirdly, he is hungry literally every second. I will feed him, burp him, change him and he is hungry again. I have sat home and nursed EVERY HOUR on the hour for the past 2 weeks. I finally started to get fed up with it and started pumping and feeding him that way through the bottle. So much better! He actually eats more than half an ounce and goes longer between feedings (like 2-3 hours). Fourth, by night time, he has literally sucked me raw and I have nothing left in me. I have been doing all I can to up my milk supply but nothing is really helping. I am just drained by night. What can I say, the boy is hungry. Luckily I pump like every second I can so I have something for him at night and a few times we have had to supplement with formula since I just didn't have a thing for him. It has been really frustrating for me!! I was devastated that it didn't work out with Owen and now it is a struggle because I just don't have enough this time. Plus I get so upset that I can't feed him from me, but that I have to use the bottle. He is happier and sleeps better so you would think it wouldn't matter, but honestly, it is one of the most depressing things ever. It makes me feel like such a failure. I try and try and during the day I try to feed from me, but he would literally not stop eating and I would have to sit on my couch for twelve hours and nurse (not to mention how much it hurts). If I do try to stop feeding him, he roots around and screams in hunger. I feel like I can't nourish my child! I don't know really what the issue is...maybe I don't have enough milk, maybe I don't have enough fat in my milk and it's not making him full, maybe he just wants to suck...the list goes on.
I think the most frustrating thing is that I want so badly to nurse. It is so good for baby and mom and yet I seem to be the only person who struggles with it. Not to mention that I feel like I have been neglecting Owen because all I seem to do is nurse. I feel like I can't go anywhere or do anything for fear that Calvin will get hungry and I can't just up and feed especially if I am somewhere with Owen and I don't want him to run off or get hurt. If anyone has any advice or can relate please do share!
Anyways, other than that, everything is going well. Calvin is so cute and sweet and doing so well! He sleeps pretty good and usually only gets up twice in the night to eat. He is definitely more cuddly so it has been fun to cuddle him constantly! Owen has been doing so well with having a baby around and knows to be soft. I wonder if he even remembers not having him around. So far he hasn't seemed to really care and has adjusted so well it almost creeps me out. He was aweful with me and babies before Calvin came. I guess my prayers were answered!

3 comments:

Delahunty Family said...

It took me about 3 months before I got nursing down, it was a struggle for me too at first. I called the lacation specialiest at the hospital and she helped me out a few times with questions and concerns. Most women I have talked to says it took about 3-4 months to get it down. I know it is frustrating my advice would be to call the hospital and ask for the lacation specialiest, if their no help I will give you the number of the lady I talked to I really loved her! Good luck I wouldn't give up just yet!

Shannon Abbott said...

Melanie- I KNOW THE GULTY FEELING!!!! Please don't let it get to you! Everyone tell us that we need to keep nursing for at least 6 months. Some people just don't have enough. I wasn't able to do it with Zac so when Tyson came along I did everything to make it work. I took herbs, medication, and drank more water then my stomach could handle. I made it to 4 months with Tyson and then I just ran out! IT"S NOT YOUR FAULT and don't let anyone make you feel that way....even yourself. I was a formula baby and I like to think I turned out just fine.

Chantelle Olsen Peavler said...

This is what I have found from my experience. It seemed like Adi would get way too comfortable nursing and either fall asleep or just want to hang out. SO then she would be hungry an hour later. So what I do is nurse her for about 20 or so minutes and then give her a bottle of breast milk so I know she is full. She then isn't hungry for a couple of hours or so. Also after I would breast feed I would pump. Pumping was hard for me cuz I hated sitting there. But I finally found a way to get stuff done at the same time by tucking the pump into my bra and then tying a jacket tight around me. The other thing that helped me start to get more milk was to pump for 5 minutes longer after the milk stops and also to pump more often. There is an herb called fenugreek that helps your milk supply. But it does make your milk smell like maple syrup:) And DO NOT feel guilty or stress about it. They actually say the number one reason for a decrease in milk supply is stress. You are doing the very best you can. And you seem to be an amazing mom. Let me know if I can help anymore. Not that I am an expert, but I went through some of the same things.